Skip to main content
COVID-19 Orange setting

For information about our services and facilities restrictions during the protection framework settings, see the COVID-19 section

For up-to-date information on COVID-19, visit

Tohu tū noa

Freestanding signs

Freestanding signs may only advertise a business or activity carried out on the site of the sign.

Where to place freestanding signs

  • At least 5m from any building.
  • At least 2m from the side boundary of the site if the site frontage is more than 6m wide.
  • If the sign is primarily identifying or advertising a business or activity on the site, it must be at least 10m from portable signage or any other freestanding sign on the same site. This includes a freestanding billboard.

Number of freestanding signs permitted per site

  • For sites with a road frontage of 60m or less – one freestanding sign per road frontage (including billboards).
  • For sites with a road frontage of more than 60m and less than 100m – two freestanding signs per road frontage (including billboards).
  • For sites with a road frontage of 100m or more – up to three freestanding signs per road frontage (including billboards).

Size of freestanding signs

  • Maximum 8m high including the support structure, by 2m wide.
  • Maximum surface area 4 square metres.

You should know

If you want to put up a business sign in scheduled heritage places you will need a resource consent.
Check Geomaps to see if your address is in a historic heritage area. Under the results tab on the left hand side of your screen, you will find your property summary.
If your property is a historic heritage property or in a historic heritage area, you will see this under the heading "Overlays".
Read about historic heritage places in the Auckland Unitary Plan. This will help you determine which historic heritage rules apply to you.

 Related topics



Promotions and displays and displaysIf you want to hand out promotional goods you will need a licence. Meet with us before you apply and view the guidelines for displaying goods on the footpath.aspxDistributing promotional goods licence
Mobile traders tradersFind out where you can trade, work out the costs of a mobile trading licence, apply for or transfer a mobile trading licence, or complain about a mobile trader or market.aspxStreet trading and performance Trading in parks
Apply for an exemption to the sign rules for an exemption to the sign rulesFind out how to apply for an exemption to a sign rule, how much it will cost, and how we can help you.GuideaspxSigns
Signage Bylaw 2015 Bylaw 2015This bylaw regulates promotional signs to ensure public safety and prevent nuisance from poorly maintained or located signage.aspxBylaw
Complain about a billboard or sign about a billboard or signReport complaints and safety issues with billboards and signs to us.aspxSigns
Put up a billboard up a billboardIn most situations you will need a resource consent and a building consent to put up a billboard. aspxSigns