Skip to main content
COVID-19 Orange setting

For information about our services and facilities restrictions during the protection framework settings, see the COVID-19 section

For up-to-date information on COVID-19, visit

Tohu ā-parani

Veranda signs

A business can have two types of veranda signage: veranda fascia and under veranda.

Signs cannot be erected on top of a veranda.

Veranda signs may only advertise products, services, goods or events taking place on the business site on which they are located.

Veranda fascia

  • One sign per tenancy, with advertising content limited to 50 per cent of the sign.
  • Maximum projection from veranda fascia 30cm
  • Minimum clearance from footpath to bottom of the sign 2.7m
  • Maximum height of the sign 60cm

Under veranda

  • One sign per 5m of property frontage per business is permitted, with a maximum of four signs per business.
  • Under veranda signs must be a minimum of 5m away from any other veranda sign of the same business. Position the sign at 90 degrees to the wall to which the veranda is attached.
  • Minimum clearance from footpath to bottom of the sign 2.7m
  • Minimum 50cm from front of fascia
  • Maximum depth 25cm
  • Maximum height of the sign 60cm

You should know

If you want to put up a business sign in scheduled heritage places you will need a resource consent.
Check Geomaps to see if your address is in a historic heritage area. Under the results tab on the left hand side of your screen, you will find your property summary.
If your property is a historic heritage property or in a historic heritage area, you will see this under the heading "Overlays".
Read about historic heritage places in the Auckland Unitary Plan. This will help you determine which historic heritage rules apply to you.

 Related topics



Promotions and displays and displaysIf you want to hand out promotional goods you will need a licence. Meet with us before you apply and view the guidelines for displaying goods on the footpath.aspxDistributing promotional goods licence
Mobile traders tradersFind out where you can trade, work out the costs of a mobile trading licence, apply for or transfer a mobile trading licence, or complain about a mobile trader or market.aspxStreet trading and performance Trading in parks
Apply for an exemption to the sign rules for an exemption to the sign rulesFind out how to apply for an exemption to a sign rule, how much it will cost, and how we can help you.GuideaspxSigns
Signage Bylaw 2015 Bylaw 2015This bylaw regulates promotional signs to ensure public safety and prevent nuisance from poorly maintained or located signage.aspxBylaw
Complain about a billboard or sign about a billboard or signReport complaints and safety issues with billboards and signs to us.aspxSigns
Put up a billboard up a billboardIn most situations you will need a resource consent and a building consent to put up a billboard. aspxSigns