Skip to main content
COVID-19 Orange setting

For information about our services and facilities restrictions during the protection framework settings, see the COVID-19 section

For up-to-date information on COVID-19, visit

Tohu ā-matapihi

Window signs

Window signs are publicly visible signage displayed on the glass of a display window or within 15mm of the inside face of the display window and include:

  • etched windows
  • window branding
  • window graphics
  • window promotions including the use of decals, self-adhesive vinyl stickers, posters, and changeable message signage.

Key retail frontage overlay

If the business has a key retail frontage overlay then window signage on the ground floor must not take more than 25 per cent of the width of the window and 25 per cent of the height.

No key retail frontage overlay

  • Window signage on the ground floor of a building can be up to 50 per cent of the width of the window and 50 per cent of its height if the business fronts a street or public open space area.
  • Window signage that fronts a public open space area on the rear or side boundary may have up to 70 per cent of the width of the window and 25 per cent of the height.

You should know

If you want to put up a business sign in scheduled heritage places you will need a resource consent.
Check Geomaps to see if your address is in a historic heritage area. Under the results tab on the left hand side of your screen, you will find your property summary.
If your property is a historic heritage property or in a historic heritage area, you will see this under the heading "Overlays".
Read about historic heritage places in the Auckland Unitary Plan. This will help you determine which historic heritage rules apply to you.

 Related topics



Promotions and displays and displaysIf you want to hand out promotional goods you will need a licence. Meet with us before you apply and view the guidelines for displaying goods on the footpath.aspxDistributing promotional goods licence
Mobile traders tradersFind out where you can trade, work out the costs of a mobile trading licence, apply for or transfer a mobile trading licence, or complain about a mobile trader or market.aspxStreet trading and performance Trading in parks
Apply for an exemption to the sign rules for an exemption to the sign rulesFind out how to apply for an exemption to a sign rule, how much it will cost, and how we can help you.GuideaspxSigns
Signage Bylaw 2015 Bylaw 2015This bylaw regulates promotional signs to ensure public safety and prevent nuisance from poorly maintained or located signage.aspxBylaw
Complain about a billboard or sign about a billboard or signReport complaints and safety issues with billboards and signs to us.aspxSigns
Put up a billboard up a billboardIn most situations you will need a resource consent and a building consent to put up a billboard. aspxSigns