To be the Auckland that New Zealand needs it to be, it is essential that we support all our people to achieve their social, economic and cultural potential and fully capture the benefits of diversity. One such benefit is when new skills and talent help the economy to prosper.
Auckland's organisations, whether large or small, all have an important role to play in supporting diversity. People need to see themselves reflected in the organisations they come into contact with. Diversity in organisations, particularly at senior levels, enhances creativity, innovation and financial performance.
Auckland is a gateway to New Zealand. There is more we can do to welcome and include new people from other places and cultures. Successful settlement involves empowering people to participate in the social, economic and political life of Auckland.
How this can be done
Our rich diversity provides an opportunity to model a cohesive and inclusive society in which all groups can thrive. Ways by which we can achieve this are:
- actively building trust between communities by promoting interaction, inclusion and shared values
- providing opportunities for communities to express and celebrate their language and culture and share it with all Aucklanders
- supporting organisations that provide settlement services and programmes that assist with migrant settlement
governance structures, institutions and services to the needs of a diverse population.
- providing opportunities for our diverse communities to participate in decision-making
- supporting initiatives by organisations to better reflect our diversity
- proactively addressing discrimination and prejudice against minorities.