Changes in bin and bag prices and waste management targeted rates
Central government recently confirmed an increase to the levy on waste sent to landfill. This means the cost of providing refuse collection and disposal services has increased.
To cover costs, we are increasing the bin tag and bag prices, as well as the refuse targeted rate.
We will increase:
- the waste management standard refuse rate from $141.60 to $150.06
- the large refuse rate from $66.55 to $70.53.
Other changes to targeted rates
Water Quality Targeted Rate (WQTR)
- extend the WQTR to 2030/2031
- increase the WQTR to 5 per cent for 2021/2022 and then 3.5 per cent for the remaining years of the 10-year budget.
These rates decisions will allow us to:
- progress our investment in water quality programmes across the region
- not delay investments we would otherwise have to postpone for many years.
Natural Environment Targeted Rate (NETR)
We will extend the NETR until 2030/2031 to align with the term of the 10-year budget and keep it at its current level.
This will allow us to continue addressing environmental issues, such as:
- spread of kauri dieback
- predator and weed control.
Accommodation Provider Targeted Rate (APTR)
Due to restrictions on international travel and uncertainty around potential limits on mass gatherings because of COVID-19, we are:
- reducing spending on major events and visitor attraction activity
- extending the suspension of the APTR until 30 June 2022.
Electricity Network Resilience Targeted Rate
Due to public safety and power outage concerns, a targeted rate of $10.5 million per year for Vector to fund enhanced management of trees around the Vector overhead power lines.
Vector estimates this will add around $1 per month to the average domestic electricity bill.
City Centre Targeted Rate
The City Centre Targeted Rate will be extended from 2024/2025 until 2030/2031 to match the term of the 10-year budget.
Waitākere Rural Sewerage Service
We will increase the Waitākere Rural Sewerage Targeted rates to recover the cost of providing the service for ratepayers in the Waitākere Ranges Local Board area.
Since last year, ratepayers in Henderson-Massey Local Board and Upper Harbour Local Board no longer pay this targeted rate.
Clevedon Wastewater and Water Connection Targeted Rate
We have decided not to proceed with this targeted rate as further review of the scheme suggested that we may not be able to meet its legal obligations or customer expectations under consumer finance legislation.
Loan repayment targeted rates
Interest on loan repayment targeted rates for the 2021/2022 financial year will be reinstated.
This will apply to:
- Retrofit Your Home Targeted Rate
- Riverhaven Drive Targeted Rate
- Kumeū Huapai Riverhead Wastewater Targeted Rate
- On-site Wastewater Systems (septic tank) Upgrades Targeted Rate
- Point Wells Wastewater Targeted Rate
- Jackson Crescent Wastewater Targeted Rate.
Interest was not charged on these rates in 2020 while the we updated our compliance with consumer finance legislation.
Rodney Drainage District Targeted Rate
A targeted rate on the private landowners in the Te Arai and Okahukura drainage districts, who benefit from or contribute to the need for, the provision of stormwater management services in the districts, has been introduced.