Changes in property rates for 2019-2020 rating year
Panoninga pire reiti mō tēnei tau
Monday 1 July 2019 was the start of the 2019-2020 rating year.
Summary of main changes in property rates
The 10-year Budget 2018-2028 includes the following rates decisions for 2019/2020:
- an average general rates increase of 2.5 per cent
- an increase to the Uniform Annual General Charge from $414 to $424 (2.5 per cent)
- continuation in the reduction in the business differential.
This year we have also made the following changes to rates for 2019/2020:
- increased the base waste management targeted rate to $121.06 (incl. GST)
- introduced a food scraps targeted rate of $68.34 (incl. GST) in the Northcote, Milford and Takapuna trial area
- adjusted the urban rating area boundary to include around 400 properties in the urban area
- introduced a zero-rated general rates differential for some land used by religious organisations.
We had initially proposed phasing out the Waitākere rural sewerage (pump-out) service and the associated targeted rate. We have decided to retain the service and targeted rate until June 2021 as there was considerable community support in the Waitākere Ranges Local Board area for us to continue.
Later this year we will be considering how we can integrate this service with the new monitoring regime that we are implementing. This will involve looking at the appropriate charge required to ensure cost recovery and the area the service should be provided to. Consultation on any changes will take place in February or March 2020.