Skip to main content

Register online for a storm-affected property risk assessment

We need more information from storm-affected homeowners to accurately assess the risk of their properties.

What a property risk assessment is

On 1 May, the New Zealand Government released an Update on assessment of affected properties post cyclone and flooding outlining the three property risk categories.

A risk assessment helps us determine:

  • how likely it is that future severe weather events would pose a risk to life
  • whether there is a way this risk could be managed so it is safe for people to live there.

It gives us the information needed to apply a risk category to your property.

Register your property details online

If you believe your property has a high risk for flooding or storm damage, you can register your property details online, even if you have not received a property categorisation.

This includes homes that were damaged in the recent storms but did not receive a placard following a council rapid building assessment.

To find out how we use the information you provide on the form, see How we use your flooding and landslide information.

How to register your property

Complete the form to register your property details with Auckland Council.

Flooding and landslide registration form

If you need to add or change any details after you have submitted the Flooding and landslide registration form, email them to

Important risk assessment considerations

The risk assessment gives us the information we need to apply a risk category to your property.

A risk assessment has two parts:

  • An initial desk assessment based on existing information and any information you provide. This gives an indication of whether your property is likely to be low or high risk. It also tells us if a site assessment is needed.
  • An on-site assessment to look at your physical property. This will be required if we think your home could be high risk.

The site assessments will look at whether there are changes that can be made at your property or in the surrounding area to reduce the future risk to the home of serious flooding or landslides.

The position of your property in relation to flood protection infrastructure and stormwater systems is an important factor. See Property risk categories for details.

Our assessment of properties will also consider the outcome of the current Geotechnical programmes in Muriwai, Piha and Karekare.

If there are not any practical and financially viable solutions and there is a risk to life, then it is likely your property will be Category 3.

Next steps, if you are waiting for a risk category

We need to carry out thousands of assessments

If you haven’t received an email from us yet, please understand we are working through a large number of submissions.

We will get to your property as soon as we can.

You can also Get your own geotechnical report at your own cost.

Property buyouts once a category is confirmed

We are still in discussions with central government on:

  • funding arrangements
  • how a buyout scheme for Category 3 homes will work
  • funding for work needed to protect Category 2 homes.

We hope to be able to share more details soon.

We know that many displaced families in Auckland are doing it tough, but we’re trying to balance the need to move quickly with the need to make important decisions and get them right.

 Related topics



Rapid building assessments building assessmentsLearn about what rapid building assessments are and how they are carried out.aspxCivil defence Environment Disaster and emergency recovery
Information for buyouts and insurance payouts for storm-affected properties for buyouts and insurance payouts for storm-affected propertiesFind out what the government buyout programme could mean for you if your property is classed as Risk Category 3.aspxCivil defence Environment Disaster and emergency recovery
Property risk categories risk categoriesFind specific information about the three risk categories announced by the New Zealand Government for homes affected by extreme weather.aspxCivil defence Environment
Get your own geotechnical report your own geotechnical reportFind out what you need to do if you want to organise your own geotechnical report.aspxCivil defence Environment Disaster and emergency recovery
Placards issued to properties after a natural disaster issued to properties after a natural disasterLearn about the different placards that can be applied to properties after a severe weather event or natural disaster.aspxEnvironment consultation Civil defence Disaster and emergency recovery
Help for individuals after a natural disaster for individuals after a natural disasterLearn about the help and wellbeing support that is available to you after an extreme weather event or a natural disaster.aspxCivil defence Environment consultation Disaster and emergency recovery