Ngā mea e āhei tō kuhu ki ō otaota
What you can put in your rubbish
Items you should put in your rubbish
- Plastic wraps and foil wraps.
- Disposable cups, plates and cutlery.
- Polystyrene takeaway containers and meat trays.
- Nappies and sanitary products.
- Broken glass, wrapped.
- Some plastic items. See How to get rid of unwanted items to check how to dispose of specific plastic items.
Items you should not put in your rubbish
- Hot ashes.
- Garden waste.
- Medical waste.
- Building material.
- Large household items.
- Chemicals and hazardous items.
- Recyclable items such as cans, glass and plastic bottles, paper and cardboard.
To know how to dispose of these items, see How to get rid of unwanted items.
For recyclable items, see What you can put in your recycling
For food scraps and garden trimmings, see Reduce your food scraps and garden waste.
For hazardous chemicals and paint, see Hazardous waste.