What you can put in your rubbish
Ngā mea e āhei tō kuhu ki ō otaota
Items you should put in your rubbish
- Plastic wraps and foil wraps.
- Disposable cups, plates and cutlery.
- Polystyrene takeaway containers and meat trays.
- Nappies and sanitary products.
- Broken glass, wrapped.
- Some plastic items. See How to get rid of unwanted items to check how to dispose of specific plastic items.
Items you should not put in your rubbish
- Hot ashes.
- Medical waste.
- Garden waste.
- Recyclable items such as paper and cardboard.
- Chemicals and hazardous items.
- Building material.
- Large household items.
To know how to dispose of these items, see How to get rid of unwanted items.
For food scraps and garden trimmings, see Reduce your food scraps and garden waste.
For hazardous chemicals and paint, see Hazardous waste.