Skip to main content
Auckland Council
Online services outage
More Some online services will be unavailable from 6pm on Friday 22 February until 7pm on Saturday 23 February. Learn moreOnline services outage

3. Apply for a consent to build a sleepout or cabin

3. E tono whakaaetanga mō te hanga wharau moe, wharau noa nei rānei

We recommend you engage a professional to complete your application form.

How to apply for a consent to build a sleepout or cabin

Our tip

If your sleepout or cabin is close to a boundary, and you have the written approval from your neighbours, you can apply for a Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity.
This application replaces the need to apply for a resource consent.
You will still need to apply for a building consent, if required.


​Upload the completed AC1011 Lodgement checklist: Residential.

Apply for a building consent now

Apply for a resource consent now

 In person

​Bring your completed application forms and supporting documents to one of our service centres, and pay by:
  • cash
  • cheque
  • Eftpos
  • Visa or MasterCard. A convenience fee of 1.75 per cent of your payment amount applies.

 By post

Send your completed application forms, supporting documents and a cheque payment to:

Auckland Council
Private Bag 92300
Victoria Street West
Auckland 1142

We will return incomplete applications and ask for the missing information. ​

​Consent application fees

The consent fee depends on the value and complexity of your project.

There are separate fees for resource and building consents.

Use our deposit calculator to find out.

What happens next

We will process your application within 10 working days.

We will let you know the decision by email or post.