Have your plan ready
Under the NZ Building Regulations there is a lot of building work you can do yourself. The website for the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) is also helpful.
Before checking whether you need a consent for your detached stand-alone building, you need to know:
- dimensions of the project (height, total area)
- location on property where the project will go
- size of the property in square metres. The net floor area in a building is measured to the inside of the enclosing walls or posts/columns.
- total area of your property currently covered by buildings
- total area of your property currently covered by hard surfaces, for example concrete or paved areas.
Depending on the size and design of your structure, the work (design and/or construction) may be required to be carried out by a Chartered Professional Engineer and/or Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP).