Skip to main content
Auckland Council
Water conservation efforts
More How we are reducing water usage across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater conservation efforts

Apply for a subdivision resource consent

E tono whakaaetanga ā-rawa whenua wawae

You need a subdivision resource consent to divide a parcel of land or a building into one or more further parcels, or to change an existing boundary location.

​When to apply to subdivide your property

Here are a few examples of when you need to apply for subdivision resource consent:

  • Subdividing your land into separately owned properties (fee simple).
  • Adjusting the boundary of your land.
  • Converting a cross-lease into a freehold title.
  • Amending a cross-lease, unit title or company lease by making alterations or additions.

What to do before you apply to subdivide your property

  1. Take advantage of our free helpdesk service to find out as much information as possible before you start the subdivision application process.
  2. Talk to a Licensed Cadastral Surveyor about whether your property can be subdivided.
  3. If necessary, consult an engineer or a lawyer.       
  4. If you decide to proceed, have your property surveyed and get pre-application guidance if necessary and then apply for a subdivision consent.
  5. If we grant your subdivision consent, it is likely to include conditions you will need to follow.
  6. Once the consent is granted, submit a more detailed survey plan to us to get a s223 RMA certificate (your surveyor will help with this process).
  7. Once the survey plan is approved, you can begin works. You must comply with subdivision consent conditions such as installing services (water, wastewater, power and phone), entrances and driveways.
  8. Once all physical works required by the consent have been completed, apply for a s224(c) RMA certificate from us, providing evidence about how each consent condition was met.
  9. Once you have your certificates and have paid all fees, lodge the subdivision plan and certificate with Land Information NZ (LINZ), who will issue the new Certificates of Title. Your lawyer will help with this process. A Certificate of Title is needed to sell each parcel of land separately.

The key professional for the subdivision process your Licensed Cadastral Surveyor.

You may also need a consultant planner, an engineer and a lawyer.

Apply for a subdivision resource consent

There are several ways to apply for a resource consent to subdivide:

 By post

​Supply two printed copies (including one unbound) of all information, including application form, plans, Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE), and any supporting information, for all applications.

Send your signed application, with all accompanying information (including printed copies) to:

Auckland Council
Private Bag 92300
Auckland 1142

 In person

​Take your signed application and all accompanying information (including printed copies) to one of our service centres.

 Related topics