Skip to main content
COVID-19 information For information about COVID-19, visit
For the current status of council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19 information
Water restrictions in Auckland More Water restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater restrictions in Auckland

Free advice before submitting a consent application

He Āwhina kore utu i mua i te tono whakaaetanga

If you're planning a development, subdivision or building that may need a consent or permit, talk to us before submitting your application.

Why you should talk to us

Early discussions with us will help you make informed decisions about your application and avoid unnecessary processing delays.

For simple enquiries, we offer up to 15 minutes of free assistance at our service centres listed in the table below, where you can speak to an expert about your project.

We also offer this service over the telephone for those who can't come to one of our offices.

Appointments for free advice

You need to book an appointment for your free advice for all locations.

Call 09 301 0101 to book.

Location Hours
Graham Street (central) customer service centreMonday-Friday 8am-5pm
Waiheke Island customer service centreMonday-Thursday 8.30am-5pm
Ōrewa customer service centreMonday-Friday 8am-5pm
Henderson customer service centreMonday-Friday 8am-5pm
Manukau customer service centre

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8.30am-5pm

Wednesday 8.30am-4pm

Papakura customer service centreWednesday 8.30am-4.30pm
Pukekohe customer service centreThursdays 8.30am-4.30pm
Takapuna customer service centre

​Building advice: Monday-Friday 9am-4pm

Planning advice: Monday-Friday 9am-4.30pm

More specific enquiries

For more specific enquiries, we offer individually tailored pre-application guidance, where you can discuss your proposal with the relevant staff.

We do charge for the pre-application guidance service.

 Related topics



Check if you need a consent if you need a consentStep two: Check if you need consent for your project and whether you need a professional to carry out the work.aspx
The Fire Engineering Brief (FEB) process Fire Engineering Brief (FEB) processFind out when you ​need to follow the FEB process​.aspx
Engage a professional to help with your consent application a professional to help with your consent applicationFind a list of the kinds of professionals who can help you with your consent applications.aspx
Engage a professional to help with your project a professional to help with your project The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) website has information about getting professional help to prepare your resource consent application. aspx