Skip to main content
Auckland Council
Water conservation efforts
More How we are reducing water usage across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater conservation efforts

Building work you can do yourself (DIY)

Ngā mahi ka taea māu anō e mahi

Do it yourself

There is some work you can do yourself, as long as you meet the Building Code requirements.

A project like building a fence or retaining wall may still need a resource consent, even though a building consent may not be required, so it's important to check before you start work.

You can also call us on 09 301 0101 and ask to speak to the building helpdesk, or visit one of our service centres.

Building work for which you don't need a consent

If a residential building project does not require a building consent, as a building owner you are still responsible for making sure that any building work complies with the Building Code.

If you need a resource consent for your project, you need to get this before you can start your building work.

You may need to contract a professional for some types of work, even if you don't need a consent.

As the owner, you can place a record on your property file regarding work you believe to be exempt from needing consent.

See Add a record of exempt building work to a property file.

Find out more

 Related topics