Skip to main content
Flooding and storm events
More For information on disruptions to our services and facilities, see our closures page. Learn moreFlooding and storm events

Me pēhea te tuku rīpoata mō ngā ipupara

How to report flooding

If there is an immediate risk to life or property, call 111. This covers flooding on both private property or public land.


To report stormwater or flooding issues requiring urgent attention, phone us on 09 301 0101.

Flooding on public property

You can report a problem online to make us aware of non-urgent flooding at:

  • parks
  • community facilities or venues
  • roadside or public spaces.

Flooding caused by burst water main

For flooding caused by burst water main, call Watercare Services on 09 442 2222.

You can send a free text to 3130.

Flooding from a neighbour's property

You are responsible for flooding and blockages on your property.

If flooding is caused by a problem on your neighbour's property, talk to your neighbour about how to resolve the issue.

Flooding from your neighbour's property can be caused by:

  • blockages (including fences blocking overland flow paths)
  • broken pipes or guttering
  • construction
  • heavy rain
  • flooded waterways
  • landscaping
  • damage to property.

See Who maintains stormwater pipes and drains.

Flooding of waterways and channels

You are responsible for waterways and channels on your property.

We are responsible for waterways on public property. To report flooding on public waterways, contact us.

To know more, see Who maintains watercourses.

Flooding on motorways or highways

To report flooding on highways or motorways, call the NZ Transport Agency on 09 969 9800.

Flooding on private roads

Property owners are generally responsible for maintaining private roads.

These are roads not owned by the council, for example, roads in an apartment block or unit development.

If you are a tenant, you should report flooding to your landlord.

You should know

Private roads may have public pipes beneath them.
To find out more about public and private infrastructure, see the GIS viewer.

 Related topics



Flooding in Auckland in AucklandIf there is immediate risk to life or property, phone 111. For non-emergencies, find out who to contact for flooding on public or private property.aspxStormwater
How to report coastal hazards to report coastal hazardsWhat to do and who to contact if a severe beach erosion, cliff instability or other coastal hazard is found. aspxEnvironment consultation
Check for flood risks before you buy or build for flood risks before you buy or buildCheck for flood hazards on the area of your property before you buy or build. Get property information to help you make the right decisions. aspxStormwater
Missing, dislodged or damaged manhole or catchpit cover, dislodged or damaged manhole or catchpit coverReport missing, dislodged or damaged manhole covers, grilles and other stormwater assets urgently. Displaced assets pose a threat to public safety. aspxStormwater
Reduce flooding risks on your property flooding risks on your propertyKeep drains and overland flow paths clear to prevent flooding and blockages on your property. Add permeable areas such as lawns to minimise runoff.aspxStormwater