Skip to main content
Auckland Council
Water conservation efforts
More How we are reducing water usage across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater conservation efforts

What to do in a flooding emergency

Me aha inā ohorere te waipukenga

If there is an immediate risk to life or property, call 111. This covers flooding on both private property or public land.

Flooding on public property

To report flooding on public property, contact Auckland Transport.

This includes flooding on:
  • berms
  • cycleways
  • footpaths
  • parks
  • public roads.

Flooding caused by burst water main

For flooding caused by burst water main, call Watercare Services on 09 442 2222.

You can send a free text to 3130.

Flooding from a neighbour's property

You are responsible for flooding and blockages on your property.

If flooding is caused by a problem on your neighbour's property, talk to your neighbour about how to resolve the issue.

Flooding from your neighbour's property can be caused by:
  • blockages (including fences blocking overland flow paths)
  • broken pipes or guttering
  • construction
  • heavy rain
  • flooded waterways
  • landscaping
  • damage to property.

Flooding of waterways and channels

You are responsible for waterways and channels on your property.

We are responsible for waterways on public property. To report flooding on public waterways, contact us.

To know more, see Who maintains watercourses.

Flooding on motorways or highways

To report flooding on highways or motorways, call the NZ Transport Agency on 09 969 9800.

Flooding on private roads

Property owners are generally responsible for maintaining private roads.

These are roads not owned by the council, for example, roads in an apartment block or unit development.

If you are a tenant, you should report flooding to your landlord.

Our tip

Private roads may have public pipes beneath them.
To find out more about public and private infrastructure, see the GIS viewer.

 Related topics