Before you apply for a manager's certificate, you'll need to have completed the New Zealand Qualification Authority’s unit standards 4646 (version 8 or later) and 16705 (version 5 or later) or hold what was known as the Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ) or a Licence Controller Qualification Bridging Test.
You must be employed in or about to start work in the industry.
To apply you will need:
- the original application form
- a copy of photo identification
- a copy of your LCQ certificate or proof from your training provider that you have successfully completed unit standards 4646 and 16705
- a copy of your LCQ Bridging Test certificate (if applicable)
- at least three months recent experience managing the sale, supply and consumption of alcohol on a licensed premises in New Zealand. This can be as a temporary or acting manager, or under the guidance of a certified manager
- a letter from your employer or your club, confirming that you are employed there (if currently employed at a licensed business).
If you apply online then you will be required to complete the New Zealand Police Supplement form to check for criminal convictions.
Under the Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority, you must also be able to speak English well enough to be able to hold a conversation with the alcohol licensing inspector that conducts your interview.