Running a home-based food business
Te whakahaere pakihi mahi kai ā-kāinga
What you need to run a home-based food business
If you want to prepare food for customers at home, there are several factors to think about.
Your site and equipment
- If you are renting the property, do you have the landlord's permission to operate a business from the site?
- Do you need to apply for a resource consent? To find out, call us on 09 301 0101 and ask for the planning helpdesk.
- Do you need to apply for a building consent? To find out, call us on 09 301 0101 and ask for the building helpdesk.
- Will your kitchen equipment and storage facilities be suitable for doing the things you plan to do?
Is there a place to wash your hands before you start preparing food?
Preparation and storage of food
- Is there enough space in your fridge and in your pantry to properly store the amount of food you plan to make?
- How will you keep family food separate from commercial food?
- How will you store ingredients containing allergens separate from allergen-free food for sale?
- How will you ensure that other activities at home will not compromise when commercial food is being prepared?
- How will you transport the food safely?
Keeping food safe
- Do you know enough to make sure the food you sell is safe?
- Will everyone working at the business know how to handle the food safely?
- How will you operate when there are sick family members at home?
Inspections of home-based businesses
- As with any local food business operating from a commercial premises, an Environmental Health Officer or verifier will need to visit your home regularly to check you are following your
food control plan or
- Details of your home-based business will be placed on the public register of food businesses.
|Apply for food registration||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/open-food-business/apply-food-registration||Apply for food registration||Guide to applying for food registration and choosing the food plan that suits your business.||Guide||aspx|
|Home based businesses||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/Pages/home-based-businesses.aspx||Home based businesses||Home based businesses must follow certain rules.||aspx|
|Check if you need a food control plan or national programme||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/open-food-business/Pages/food-control-plan-or-national-programme.aspx||Check if you need a food control plan or national programme||Find out if you need a food control plan or national programme.||aspx|
|Inspection (verification) of your food business||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/open-food-business/Pages/inspections-for-your-food-business.aspx||Inspection (verification) of your food business||All food businesses need an inspection to receive a food grade. This is referred to as verification.||aspx|
|Taking over an existing food business||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/open-food-business/Pages/taking-over-an-existing-food-business.aspx||Taking over an existing food business||Find out what you need to do when you take over an existing food business.||aspx|
|What is a food control plan?||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/open-food-business/Pages/what-is-a-food-control-plan.aspx||What is a food control plan?||Find out what a food control plan is.||aspx|
|What is a national programme?||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/open-food-business/Pages/what-is-a-national-programme.aspx||What is a national programme?||Find out what a food national programme is.||aspx|