Skip to main content

Te whakahaere pakihi mahi kai ā-kāinga

Running a home-based food business

What you need to run a home-based food business

If you want to prepare kai for customers at home, there are several factors to think about.

Your site and equipment

  • If you are renting the property, do you have the landlord's permission to operate a business from the site?
  • Do you need to apply for a resource consent? To find out, call us on 09 301 0101 and ask for the planning helpdesk.
  • Do you need to apply for a building consent? To find out, call us on 09 301 0101 and ask for the building helpdesk.
  • Will your kitchen equipment and storage facilities be suitable for doing the things you plan to do?
    Is there a place to wash your hands before you start preparing kai?

Preparation and storage of kai

  • Is there enough space in your fridge and in your pantry to properly store the amount of kai you plan to make?
  • How will you keep family kai separate from commercial kai?
  • How will you store ingredients containing allergens separate from allergen-free kai for sale?
  • How will you ensure that other activities at home will not compromise when commercial kai is being prepared?
  • How will you transport the kai safely?

Keeping kai safe

  • Do you know enough to make sure the kai you sell is safe?
  • Will everyone working at the business know how to handle the kai safely?
  • How will you operate when there are sick family members at home?

Inspections of home-based businesses

  • As with any local food business operating from a commercial premises, a recognised verifier will need to visit your home to check you are following your Food Control Plan or National Programme.
  • Details of your home-based business will be placed on the public register of food businesses.

 Related topics



Apply for food registration for food registrationGuide to applying for food registration and choosing the food plan that suits your business.GuideaspxFood Alcohol
Home-based businesses businessesHome based businesses must follow certain rules.aspxHome based business
Apply for verification for your food business for verification for your food businessAll registered food businesses need to be checked. This is referred to as verification.aspxFood business registration
Taking over an existing food business over an existing food businessFind out what you need to do when you take over an existing food business.aspxFood
What is a food control plan? is a food control plan?Find out what a food control plan​ is.aspxFood
What is a national programme? is a national programme?Find out what a food national programme is.aspxFood business registration