Te whakahaere pakihi mahi kai ā-kāinga
Running a home-based food business
What you need to run a home-based food business
If you want to prepare kai for customers at home, there are several factors to think about.
Your site and equipment
- If you are renting the property, do you have the landlord's permission to operate a business from the site?
- Do you need to apply for a resource consent? To find out, call us on 09 301 0101 and ask for the planning helpdesk.
- Do you need to apply for a building consent? To find out, call us on 09 301 0101 and ask for the building helpdesk.
- Will your kitchen equipment and storage facilities be suitable for doing the things you plan to do?
Is there a place to wash your hands before you start preparing kai?
Preparation and storage of kai
- Is there enough space in your fridge and in your pantry to properly store the amount of kai you plan to make?
- How will you keep family kai separate from commercial kai?
- How will you store ingredients containing allergens separate from allergen-free kai for sale?
- How will you ensure that other activities at home will not compromise when commercial kai is being prepared?
- How will you transport the kai safely?
Keeping kai safe
- Do you know enough to make sure the kai you sell is safe?
- Will everyone working at the business know how to handle the kai safely?
- How will you operate when there are sick family members at home?
Inspections of home-based businesses
- As with any local food business operating from a commercial premises, a recognised verifier will need to visit your home to check you are following your Food Control Plan or National Programme.
- Details of your home-based business will be placed on the public register of food businesses.
|Apply for food registration||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/open-food-business/apply-food-registration||Apply for food registration||Guide to applying for food registration and choosing the food plan that suits your business.||Guide||aspx||Food
|Home-based businesses||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/Pages/home-based-businesses.aspx||Home-based businesses||Home based businesses must follow certain rules.||aspx||Home based business|
|Apply for verification for your food business||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/open-food-business/Pages/inspections-for-your-food-business.aspx||Apply for verification for your food business||All registered food businesses need to be checked. This is referred to as verification.||aspx||Food business registration|
|Taking over an existing food business||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/open-food-business/Pages/taking-over-an-existing-food-business.aspx||Taking over an existing food business||Find out what you need to do when you take over an existing food business.||aspx||Food|
|What is a food control plan?||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/open-food-business/Pages/what-is-a-food-control-plan.aspx||What is a food control plan?||Find out what a food control plan is.||aspx||Food|
|What is a national programme?||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/open-food-business/Pages/what-is-a-national-programme.aspx||What is a national programme?||Find out what a food national programme is.||aspx||Food business registration|