About coastal management plans
Coastal management plans will set out a sustainable approach to coastal management over the next 100 years.
The plans aim to:
- manage the impact of erosion and flooding on Auckland’s diverse coastline
- manage the impacts of rising sea levels due to climate change
- identify risks to safety, coastal defences and surrounding infrastructure
- set a long-term plan to manage our coastline.
How we’re doing this
Pilot project - Whangaparāoa Coastal Management Plan
We will develop our first coastal management plan in Whangaparāoa Peninsula. This will be a pilot project so we can test the way we do things and make sure we get the results we need to plan for the future.
In early 2021, we will be consulting the Whangaparāoa community through:
- workshops with a community reference group (including two members of the Hibiscus and Bays Local Board)
- public open days for the wider local community to provide ideas and feedback
- working in partnership with mana whenua.
How we got this far
In 2017, we published the Coastal Management Framework for the Auckland region.
The Framework recommended the development of coastal management plans for Auckland’s coast.
Download a copy of the Coastal Management Framework