Skip to main content
COVID-19 Alert Level 3

Auckland is at Alert Level 3. All customer-facing facilities like leisure centres, community venues, customer service centres and libraries will remain closed until further notice. Essential services will continue.

Remember to wear a face covering, use the NZ COVID Tracer app, maintain a 2m physical distance, wash your hands, and stay home if you are sick.

For the information about council services and closures, visit the COVID-19 Alert Level 3 page

To learn more about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19, visit OurAuckland


Water restrictions in Auckland - Water restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn more

Āhea e tika ana kia whiwhi whakaaetanga rawa ā-rohe koe

When you need a regional resource consent

Activities that you need a regional resource consent for

You will need a regional resource consent if you are undertaking an activity that will affect:

  • water
  • air
  • land
  • the coast
  • natural character values, such as natural land form or environment.

Examples of activities that require a regional resource consent include:

  • construction of jetties
  • discharge of wastewater
  • discharge of contaminants to land or air.

A detailed list of activities can be found in Part 3 of the RMA (Sections 9-15).

Regional resource consents are granted to a person or entity. When the site is sold, the consent does not automatically transfer to the new owner of a site.

Most type of regional consents incur an annual charge. See annual resource consent charges for more information.

Types of regional consents

Structures, activities and occupation of the coastal marine area

You need a coastal permit for a wide range of use and development activities in the coastal marine area, including structures, activities and occupation of the coastal marine area.

Contaminated sites, landfills, discharge to air (other than odour)

For contaminated sites, this relates to managing ongoing or temporary discharge of contaminants to land and water.

For cleanfills, managed fills and landfills – this relates to contaminant discharges to land and water associated with the proposed establishment and operation of these facilities.

Discharge contaminants to air (mainly odour)

Consent for discharging contaminants into the air. For example, for discharging combustion products from a wood curing kiln into the air.

Discharge of stormwater, wastewater or other contaminants

A discharge consent provides for the discharge of stormwater, wastewater or other contaminants into water, or onto or into land.

An Industrial or Trade Activity (ITA) consent manages the discharge of contaminants (including environmentally hazardous substances) from an industrial or trade activity site.

Drill or alter a bore

A bore permit provides for the drilling and construction of a bore, enable the taking of groundwater.

In some circumstances a bore permit is also required for:

  • the disposal of stormwater
  • monitoring purposes
  • alteration of an existing bore
  • decommissioning of a bore.

Sediment discharge permit

Permit for land-disturbing activities that have the potential to generate and discharge sediment into waters, such as roading, tracking, trenching, earthworks, quarries and vegetation removal. See Earthwork considerations for more information on what kinds of earthworks need consent.

Water take, use and diversion

water permit may be required to take, use, dam or divert water, or to take or use heat or energy from water.

Works in, under or over the bed of a lake, river or stream

This relates to works within watercourses and includes the installation of structures such as weirs, culverts and fords, as well as alterations to streams such as stream modification, diversion and reclamation.

 Related topics



Annual resource consent charges resource consent chargesFind out why regional resource consents have an annual charge.aspxResource consents
Coastal consents or permits consents or permitsWhen a coastal permit may be required, and how to apply for one.aspxResource consents
Consent to discharge contaminants onto land or into the air or water to discharge contaminants onto land or into the air or waterTypes of discharge consents, and how to apply.aspxResource consents
Water permit - bores permit - boresFind out how to apply for a bore water permit. aspxResource consents
Water permit to take, use, dam, or divert water permit to take, use, dam, or divert waterFind out how to apply for a water permit (or water consent).aspxResource consents
Works within the bed of a lake or river within the bed of a lake or riverFind out how to apply to work in the bed of a lake or river.aspxResource consents