Why you should vote in the local elections
He aha e pōti ai te tangata i ngā pōti motuhake ā-rohe
The mayor, councillors and local board members you vote for make decisions that will impact many aspects of your life.
What your vote could have an impact on
There is no level of government in New Zealand that is more directly involved in your local community than your council.
We deliver many services around Auckland, like libraries, rubbish collection, regional and local parks, community centres, water distribution and public transport.
Voting in the local elections is important if you are interested in things like:
- the quality of water from your tap and at your local beaches
- making it safer for cyclists and pedestrians around Auckland
- play spaces for children in your local parks
- what cultural and sporting events are taking place near you
- the rates you pay and the services and assets they pay for
- a range of other things, like bus timetables, checking building are built properly, restaurant health rules, alcohol licences, public art and rules around where you can walk your dog.