Help to improve the marine environment in your area
Tautoko i te whakapainga ake o te taiao takutai moana i tō takiwā
How you can help
There are actions we can all take to improve and protect our marine environment for future generations.
Dispose of rubbish safely
- Place litter securely in a rubbish bin so it can’t be blown out by the wind.
- Dispose of batteries, chemicals, and waste carefully. See Hazardous waste.
- Make proper use of our transfer and refuse stations.
- Take any household hazardous waste (paint, paint thinners, garden sprays) to various transfer stations around Auckland.
Dispose of oil and fuel safely
Take care of water and stormwater drains
- Wash your car on the grass, not on the road.
- Never hose paint or oil spills down a stormwater drain.
- Never pour anything down a water drain. They are for rain only.
Join local community groups
There are many local community groups that work on improving the health of Auckland's marine environment and coastlines.
Visit their websites to find out what they do and how you can join.
Environment care organisations
Find out about the environmental care and actions of bigger organisations.
|Project Twin Streams||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/looking-after-our-waterways/Pages/project-twin-streams.aspx||Project Twin Streams||Project Twin Streams is an environmental restoration project. It aims to improve Waitakere streams and stabilise their banks. ||aspx|
|Wai Care water quality programme||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/looking-after-our-waterways/Pages/wai-care-water-quality-programme.aspx||Wai Care water quality programme||Wai Care is a water quality programme for local groups, schools and businesses. The focus is on monitoring and protecting our waterways and catchments. ||aspx|
|Wai Ora-Healthy Waterways||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/looking-after-our-waterways/Pages/wai-ora-healthy-waterways.aspx||Wai Ora-Healthy Waterways||We established Wai Ora-Healthy Waterways, our freshwater programme, to implement the National Policy Statement for Freshwater Management (NPSFM). ||aspx|
|Improving water quality in lagoons||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/looking-after-our-waterways/Pages/improving-water-quality-lagoons.aspx||Improving water quality in lagoons||We are working on improving the quality of west coast lagoons through awareness and better management of septic systems. ||aspx|