Skip to main content
Flooding and storm events
More For information on disruptions to our services and facilities, see our closures page. Learn moreFlooding and storm events

Kai mō ngā wāhi pakihi me ngā karapu inu waipiro

Food in alcohol on-licence business sites and clubs

​Serving food in alcohol on-licence business sites and clubs

Businesses with alcohol on-licences or club licences must serve kai whenever they are open and selling alcohol.

This condition forms part of good host responsibility, as eating before or while drinking significantly reduces the level of intoxication.

Minimum standards for serving food (excluding restaurants)

To meet the conditions of your on-licence or club alcohol licence, the range and style of kai you serve must be similar to the menu you submitted as part of your alcohol licence application.

Food that meets a minimum standard

The Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority states that you should offer a minimum of three types of kai:

  • pizzas
  • paninis
  • lasagne
  • filled rolls
  • pies
  • toasted or fresh sandwiches
  • wedges
  • salads.

You can’t serve three types of the same kai (three types of pies).

You can, in addition to the three types of kai, have a menu from neighbouring businesses to provide extra options.

To meet a minimum in food standards you must have:

  • a microwave or fryer
  • utensils and plates.

You must also have a food preparation area and utensils to serve the kai.

Clear advertising of the food available

Menus for the kai that you provide at a club or on-licence business must be highly visible, and kai should be actively promoted with:

  • menus on the tables
  • a menu board
  • kai on display.

You should advertise kai in outdoor areas. Bar staff should actively promote the range of kai options available.

Certificate of Registration

Registered businesses, such as restaurants that mainly sell and serve meals on the premises, must display a current Certificate of Registration with the premises grading.

For more information about getting a Certificate of Registration see how to open a food business.

Licence renewals and inspections

When you apply to renew your alcohol licence you will be visited by the alcohol licensing inspector.

They will check if kai is available as promised and is promoted well. The inspector may visit you from time to time to check your overall compliance.

Other inspections will be made by our food verifiers, who are part of the Environmental Health Team.

They will check menus at businesses during an inspection.

The food verifier will also ask to see your kitchen or food preparation area and check the range of kai available in the refrigerator, freezer or dry store area.

Make sure that these areas are clean and that kai is within its use-by date.

The food verifier will check that you rotate stock and replace food items, so that fresh kai is always available.

They will report to the alcohol licensing inspector on their overall perception of your business. This will help the inspector when they review your alcohol licence application.

If your business loses its food licence

We work closely with the Alcohol Licensing Agency and keep them informed whenever a business is closed down because of food safety issues.
If your food business loses a licence to operate because of unsafe food handling practices, this may seriously affect your ability to meet the conditions of your alcohol licence.

 Related topics



Food business sites - Codes of practice business sites - Codes of practiceYour food business premises must meet certain building and structural requirements. Find out what the requirements are.aspxFood
Apply for alcohol licensing building and planning certificates for alcohol licensing building and planning certificatesBefore applying for a new alcohol licence you will need to get an Alcohol Licensing Planning Certificate and an Alcohol Licensing Building Certificate.GuideaspxAlcohol Licences and regulations consultation
Apply for an alcohol on-licence for an alcohol on-licenceFind out how to apply for an alcohol on-licence.GuideaspxAlcohol licensing
Alcohol Control Bylaw 2014 Control Bylaw 2014This bylaw protects public safety by enabling alcohol bans in public places that experience high levels of alcohol-related crime or disorder.aspxBylaw
Notify the public of your alcohol licence application the public of your alcohol licence applicationFind out how to notify the public of your application for an alcohol licence.aspxAlcohol licensing
Write a host responsibility policy for your on-licence business or club a host responsibility policy for your on-licence business or clubFind out how to write a host responsibility policy, and view a template example.aspxAlcohol licensing