What are transitional property rates grants?
In 2017/2018 properties in some parts of Auckland could apply for a property rates relief under legacy rates remission or postponement schemes.
The transitional property rates grants replace many property rates remission or postponement schemes.
To minimise the impact on the existing recipients of these schemes, we provided transitional property rates grants for three years. Most rates grants ended on 30 June 2021.
Eligibility for transitional property rates grants
These grants are available automatically on the same terms offered under the legacy remission or postponement scheme.
We will contact you by letter if you are eligible for the transitional property rates grant.
We will keep recipients of transitional property rates grants informed on future options for support.
Criteria for rating units protected for natural or historic heritage
A rating unit will be eligible for a transitional property rates grant for the rating years 2018/2019 through to 2021/2022 where it meets the following criteria:
- Remission of property rates for private covenanted land in the district of the former Auckland City Council.
- Remission of property rates for rating units in the district of the former Auckland Regional Council protected for natural or historic or cultural conservation purposes.
- Remission of property rates for natural areas protected in the district of the former Franklin District Council.
- Remission of property rates on land in the district of the former Papakura District Council protected for natural conservation purposes.
- Remission for land in the district of the former Rodney District Council voluntarily protected for natural or historic or cultural conservation purposes.
The rating unit that received a remission under a scheme 1 above, continues to be owned and used for the purposes for which a remission was granted in 2017/2018.
Contact us for more information
Or write to us at:
Attn: Transitional property rates grants
Private Bag 92300