Skip to main content
Auckland Council

Apply for Licence to Occupy (LTO) retirement villages

Tono mō te Raihana Kainoho (LTO) kāinga whakatānga

What you need to apply

You will need your financial information for the year 1 April to 31 March the following year.

Your application should include combined income, if you have a spouse or partner:

  • WINZ benefits
  • personal superannuation
  • interest/dividends
  • overseas income (converted to New Zealand dollars)
  • net profit before tax from any business - enter nil if you sustained a loss
  • rental income - enter nil if you sustained a loss
  • trust income paid to you
  • wages or salary.

All the information you provide on the application is accepted as true and correct by Auckland Council.

How to apply

All retirement villages and Papakāinga housing, which have signed up for the scheme will provide application forms to their residents.

Complete the Licence to occupy remission application form.

Contact us on 09 301 0101 to discuss your application or to request an application form.

Return your completed application by:


​Scan your completed application form along with supporting documents and email them to:

 By post

​Send your competed application form along with supporting documents to:

Auckland Council
Private Bag 92300
Victoria Street
Auckland 1142

 In person

You can bring your completed LTO application along with supporting documents, to any one of our service centres.

​What happens next

We will return incomplete applications.

It takes 20 working days to process your application. You will receive a letter advising the outcome of your application.

We apply the remission to the rates of the retirement village where the applicant resides. The village then passes the rates remission to the resident.