Transitional property rates grants for Great Barrier Island commercial properties
Te whakatārewa reiti i te Moutere o Aotea mā ngā wāhi tauhokohoko
The purpose of this policy
Rates postponement is no longer available for commercial properties on Great Barrier Island.
Ratepayers who postponed rates under this scheme in 2017/2018 may be eligible for a Transitional property rates grant.
A transitional rates grant may be paid, to the extent specified below, where a property rating unit:
- received a property rates postponement in 2017/2018 under the postponement of rates on Great Barrier Island commercial properties
- is classified in the Great Barrier Island non-residential property rating group and is used principally for commercial purposes. If only a part of the property rating unit is used for commercial purposes, the property rates postponement will apply only to that part of the rating unit.
- You must use the application form to apply.
- If we approve the application, we will provide you with a grant equivalent to a portion of the rates on the rating unit (or part of the rating unit) for the relevant period. The amount of grant available for any rating period will be equal to the difference between:
- the property rates calculated using the rateable value of the rating unit (or part of the rating unit), and
- the property rates calculated using 80 per cent of the rating unit's (or part of the rating unit's) capital value as the rateable value.
- The grant will apply from the beginning of the rating period in which the application is determined and will not be backdated to previous years.
Postponed rates on the property
Property rates previously postponed will remain as a charge against the property on the same conditions as applied under the Postponement of rates for commercial properties on Great Barrier Island scheme:
- Unless the postponed property rates become payable in accordance with condition 2 of the policy, we will write off the postponed property rates, including the postponement fee, after five years.
- The property rates that are postponed under the policy, and that have not been written off under condition 1, become due and are to be paid immediately if the rating unit ceases to qualify for property rates postponement under the policy.
- Where your interest in the land transfers to another person, the property rates postponement will continue to have effect if it continues to qualify for property rates postponement under the policy.
- Postponed property rates are registered as a statutory land charge on the title of the rating unit.
- We will add a postponement fee to the postponed property rates, for the period between the date when they are due and the date that they are paid. This fee covers administrative and financial costs.
- For the property rates to be postponed, we will require evidence each year, by way of declaration, to confirm that the rating unit still complies with the conditions and criteria of the policy.
How to apply
call us on 09 301 0101 if you have any questions.
|What happens if you don't pay your property rates ||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/property-rates-valuations/Pages/what-happens-dont-pay-rates.aspx||What happens if you don't pay your property rates ||Find out what happens if you don't pay your property rates. ||aspx|
|Rates Remission and Postponement Policy||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/our-policies/Pages/rates-remission-postponement-policy.aspx||Rates Remission and Postponement Policy||The Rates Remission and Postponement Policy addresses financial assistance and support for ratepayers, as well as anomalies and other schemes. ||aspx|
|Remission (reduction) of property rates penalties||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/property-rates-valuations/help-low-income-households-community-groups/Pages/remission-rates-penalties.aspx||Remission (reduction) of property rates penalties||Find out how we may be able to reduce your property rates penalties under specific circumstances.||aspx|
|Postponement of rates for two Manukau sports clubs||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/property-rates-valuations/help-low-income-households-community-groups/request-rates-postponement/Pages/former-manukau-city-council-postponement-rates-sports-clubs.aspx||Postponement of rates for two Manukau sports clubs||Information on a postponement of rates payments for two sports clubs in the former Manukau City Council area.||aspx|
|Postponement of rates payments for residential properties||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/property-rates-valuations/help-low-income-households-community-groups/request-rates-postponement/Pages/postponement-rates-for-residential-property.aspx||Postponement of rates payments for residential properties||How to request a postponement of rates payments for a residential property.||aspx|