Skip to main content
Water restrictions Restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater restrictions

Apply for a minor engineering approval

Ngā Tono ohiatanga mahi hanga pūkaha iti noa

COVID-19 building and consents information

See COVID-19 Alert Level 1 consents services.

Minor engineering approval application fee

Read fee table.
Service Fee
Approval of engineering works (minor) and common access way$600

How to apply for a minor engineering approval

Only use this form for minor works, such as:

  • public stormwater and/or wastewater connections within the site
  • renewal of a public stormwater pipe to the same grade and alignment
  • isolated rehabilitation of existing pipe or manhole
  • raising or lowering a public manhole lid.

 By post

​Send your completed application form, supporting documents and cheque payment to:

Auckland Council

  Private Bag 92300

  Auckland 1142

 In person

​Bring your completed application form and supporting documents to a service centre nearest to the address of your project, and pay by:
  • cash
  • cheque
  • Eftpos
  • MasterCard or Visa (a convenience fee of 1.75 per cent of your payment amount applies).

Our tip

At the end of the process, you may need to pay the maintenance bond.

What happens next

We process the engineering plan approvals within 20 working days unless additional information is required.

We will let you know the decision by email and post.

Phases in the engineering approval process

  1. Assessment and approval of proposal
  2. Construction and inspection
  3. As-built documentation review and completion, and transferring ownership of an asset (like infrastructure).

 Related topics



Consider stormwater when building stormwater when buildingIf you are doing any sort of development, one of the factors you need to consider is stormwater. Find out what you need to know about stormwater before you begin.aspx
Apply for a major engineering approval for a major engineering approvalFind out how to apply for a major engineering approval and download the engineering as-built requirements. aspx
Common access way approval access way approvalFind out what a common access way is, and if there are any regional differences in the design and construction processes. It also provides information on how and why we test the common access way.aspx
Construct drainage over neighbouring properties drainage over neighbouring propertiesFind out what you can do if you want to construct drainage over neighbouring properties but your neighbours grant or refuse to grant you access approval.aspx
Guidelines for engineering approval applications for engineering approval applicationsRead what you need to apply for an engineering approval and the naming standards to use if you apply online.aspx
When you need an engineering approval you need an engineering approvalFind out what type of work might need an engineering approval and how can our development engineers help. aspx