Register your interest in the Healthy Rentals programme
Rēhita i tō whai whakaaro ki te hōtaka Rīhi Hauora
Check if you are eligible for assistance
You may be eligible for a free independent home assessment, tenant advice and financial assistance towards improvements to your rental, if your property:
- is in the Mangere-Otahuhu and Maungakiekie-Tamaki, Papakura, Puketapapa and Whau wards
- is occupied by low income tenants, or tenants who have health conditions related to cold, damp housing, such a bronchitis and pneumonia
- is hard to keep warm or has problems with mould.
local board locator to see if your property is in one of these local board areas.
An independent advisor will conduct a home visit and write a report outlining how to make the home healthier and more energy efficient. Tenants receive tips and free resources to help manage energy and moisture levels and create a healthier home.
Healthy Rentals subsidies for landlords
If your property is insulated to
Residential Tenancies Act standards, through the Healthy Rental programme you can receive a subsidy of 40 per cent of the cost - up to a maximum of $500 per property - for installing:
- Installing a groundsheet (a moisture barrier) under the house - best installed at the same time as underfloor insulation
- Installing a kitchen and bathroom extractor fan
- Installing a heat pump.
These local board subsidies are additional to subsidies for 50 per cent of insulation costs available through the Warm up New Zealand programme.
Assistance with funding the remainder of the cost of improvements is available through the Retrofit Your Home programme.
You may use any installer to get quotes but the local board subsidies are only available through
What you need to do
You will need to book a visit from a Healthy Rental advisor and prepare the answers to the following questions:
- Are you a landlord, property manager or tenant?
- What is the property address?
- What is the landlord’s/tenant's name, phone number and email address?
- Does the tenant have, or is eligible for, a community services card?
- Does anyone in the household suffer from asthma or recurrent respiratory illnesses such as bronchitis, pneumonia, or persistent coughs and colds?
- Is the home hard to keep warm or is there mould?
- How did you find out about the programme?
How to register your interest in the programme
Call 09 890 4610 and have the answers ready.
Tenants need to be present for the home assessment visit in order to receive advice and free resources.
|Benefits of applying for Healthy Rentals programme||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/design-sustainable-building-programmes/Pages/benefits-applying-healthy-rentals-programme.aspx||Benefits of applying for Healthy Rentals programme||Find out about how Healthy Rentals programme can be beneficial to you as a landlord and a tenant.||aspx|
|Check if you are eligible for an insulation programme||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/design-sustainable-building-programmes/Pages/check-eligible-for-subsidised-insulation-programme.aspx||Check if you are eligible for an insulation programme||Find out why you should insulate your home and what insulation programmes are on offer. You can also get a free advice on funding assistance. ||aspx|
|Retrofit Your Home - repayable financial assistance to heat or insulate your home||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/property-rates-valuations/apply-assistance-heat-insulate-home/Pages/retrofit-your-home-repayable-financial-assistance.aspx||Retrofit Your Home - repayable financial assistance to heat or insulate your home||Find out if you can get financial assistance to heat or insulate your home through our Retrofit Your Home programme.||aspx|