Register your interest in the Healthy Rentals programme
Rēhitatia tō whai whakaaro ki te hōtaka Rīhi Kāinga Hauora
About the Healthy Rentals programme
The Healthy Rentals programme provides tenants in Māngere-Ōtāhuhu, Puketāpapa and Whau Local Board areas with advice and assistance to help create a healthy and energy-efficient home.
The programme can help you with getting:
- free advice on how to manage energy and moisture levels and create a healthier home
- free resources, including installation of LED light bulbs, drought stoppers, hot water cylinder wraps, curtains, and other items that will help you save up to $1000 per year on your power bills
- an independent assessment of the house and a written report that will be sent to your landlord (with your permission) recommending potential improvements and sources of financial assistance.
To see what other tenants have said about the programme, see The Healthy Rental Experience.
Check if you are eligible for the Healthy Rentals programme
You may be eligible for the Healthy Rentals programme if:
- you are the tenant in a private rental property within the Māngere-Ōtāhuhu, Puketāpapa and Whau local board areas - use our local board locator to see if your property is in one of these local board areas
- at least one member of your household is a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- the house is hard to keep warm, or has problems with mould
- the household meets the income criteria for a community services card, or at least one member of the household has a verifiable health condition related to cold, damp housing.
What you need to do
Email email@example.com with:
- the property address
- your name, phone number and email address
- details explaining how the house is hard to keep warm or if there is mould
- your community services card number (if you have one)
- if anyone in the household suffers from asthma or a lower respiratory tract condition such as bronchiolitis or pneumonia
- how you found out about the programme.
Once we have confirmed that you are eligible for the programme, an independent advisor from Ecomatters (Whau or Puketāpapa) or Habitat for Humanity (Māngere-Ōtāhuhu) will contact you to make a time to visit.
Assistance for tenants who are not eligible for the Healthy Rentals Programme
- Housing New Zealand has a Warm and Dry programme to ensure that all homes have things like thermal-backed curtains and extractor fans in bathrooms and kitchens. Contact your Housing NZ Tenancy Manager if you have any questions, or see the
Housing New Zealand website.
- Borrow a Home Energy Audit Toolkit (HEAT) from your local library. These contain tools and information to help you figure out where you can make changes to make your home healthier and warmer, and save on power bills. For more information, see Hire a Home Energy Audit Toolkit.
- If you have a community services card, you may be able to get free curtains from the Habitat curtain bank.
- Low-income families who have children with respiratory illnesses may be eligible for support through the Kainga Ora or AWHI Healthy Homes initiatives. To find out more, see
- There are a number of online resources with tips on how to make your home warmer and drier, and to save on your power bill:
|Apply for financial assistance to heat or insulate your home||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/property-rates-valuations/apply-assistance-heat-insulate-home||Apply for financial assistance to heat or insulate your home||Find out about the Retrofit Your Home financial assistance.||aspx|
|Heat your home||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/building-renovation-projects/heat-your-home||Heat your home||Find out how to make your home warmer, energy efficient and sustainable by installing wall insulation, solar and heat pump water heating, solid fuel heating and solar panels.||aspx|
|Create a healthy, energy-efficient home||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/sustainability-eco-design/create-healthy-energy-efficient-home||Create a healthy, energy-efficient home||Find out how to create a healthy, energy-efficient home.||aspx|
|Install a heat pump||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/building-renovation-projects/heat-your-home/Pages/install-heat-pump.aspx||Install a heat pump||Check if you need a building consent to install a heat pump.||aspx|
|Install wall insulation||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/building-renovation-projects/heat-your-home/Pages/install-wall-insulation.aspx||Install wall insulation||Check if you need a building and resource consent to install wall insulation.||aspx|
|Rules for domestic heating appliances||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/building-renovation-projects/heat-your-home/Pages/rules-domestic-heating-appliances.aspx||Rules for domestic heating appliances||Observe the rules on domestic heating appliances to limit particle emissions.||aspx|