Skip to main content
COVID-19 Red setting

For information about our services and facilities restrictions during the protection framework settings, see the COVID-19 section.

For up-to-date information on COVID-19, visit

Hokohoko mai i te papa whenua tūmatanui

Trade from public land

Public land is any land that Auckland Council or a council controlled organisation owns, manages or maintains, and is open for use to the public.

What you need to trade from public land

To trade from public land, you will need to:

Other licences and permission

If you are selling kai you should apply to register your business before or at the same time as your mobile trading licence. See Register your food business.

If you are planning to trade in a park, beach or reserve, see Open a mobile trading business.

If you plan to use a vessel on a waterway e.g. kayaks, you need permission from the Harbourmaster.

Choosing a public site

For advice on choosing a public site, email us or see Find a place to trade.

You must gain approval for your choice of site before you begin trading - contact us to find out more.

Public land sites do not offer power or wastewater disposal services.

Rules of trading from public land

  • You must leave the site clean and tidy at the end of the day's trading.
  • You must not cause danger to pedestrians, cyclists, or other vehicles.
  • You must not trade within 50m of an intersection or where your activity will limit visibility for other road users.
  • You must not block access to private property.
  • You cannot park a vehicle on the berm or footpath unless you get special permission.
  • You must not breach any Auckland Transport parking rules or time restrictions.
  • The trading set up must not block visibility for pedestrians or vehicles
  • Main arterial roads are not suitable locations for mobile traders due to increased traffic volumes. Some roads, such as Tamaki Drive, are completely restricted to new traders.

Roaming licences

We grant roaming licences only to ice cream trucks (Mr Whippy).

Roaming licences have a different set of conditions to fixed site traders.



 Related topics



Open a mobile trading business a mobile trading businessCheck if you need a mobile trading licence, find out where you can trade, and apply for your mobile trading licence.GuideaspxMobile trading licence
Landowner approvals approvalsIf you intend to use council-owned land, such as parks or reserves, then you will need to get the council's landowner approval.aspxParks
Renew your mobile trading licence your mobile trading licenceRenew your mobile trading licence before it expires.aspxMobile trading licence
Trade from private land, markets or events from private land, markets or eventsTo sell food or beverages from private land, you need to apply for food registration, get approval from the event manager or landowner, and check with our planning helpdesk that your type of activity is allowed.aspxStreet trading and performance Trading in parks
Transfer a mobile trading licence a mobile trading licenceFind out how to apply to transfer a mobile trading licence.aspxStreet trading and performance Trading in parks
What is mobile trading? is mobile trading?Mobile trading is the temporary trading activity from a location which is vacated once trading has ended for the day.aspxStreet trading and performance Trading in parks
2. Where can I trade? Where can I trade?Check if you need a mobile trading licence, find out where you can trade, and apply for your mobile trading licence.GuideaspxMobile trading licence