Auckland is well positioned to take advantage of opportunities presented through technology as it:
- has a relatively high-skilled labour market
- has strong educational institutions
- is a place that can attract talent based on its lifestyle offer.
High quality digital services are fundamental to advancing technology uptake for current and growing business and for the long term development and growth of skills required for the future.
Homes, schools and businesses need access to high speed internet to keep up with the modern economy. Meeting the challenge of providing affordable access to the internet and quality digital services to all Aucklanders means removing barriers, including:
- inadequate internet connectivity and the slow rate of expansion of high speed connectivity to rural areas
- low household incomes that make internet services and devices unaffordable
- limited digital skills
- lack of awareness of the opportunities and risks of digital services.
How this can be done
The focus should be on how people and businesses get the most benefit from technological change. The fast pace of the digital revolution needs to be matched by ensuring everyone can make the most of online opportunities.
There needs to be affordable and accessible digital infrastructure and plentiful opportunities for people to continuously develop their digital literacy.
Formal education at all levels must to respond to the digital new environment. This includes enhancing the entrepreneurial, science, technology, engineering and mathematics offer for all ages.