Auckland has an important role as New Zealand's main connection point for international and domestic markets. We need to use this role to increase exports.
Exporting specialised, distinctive, high-value products at scale will have the greatest impact on Auckland’s prosperity.
Opportunities available in Auckland due to its scale, facilities and diverse population include:
- diverse and more specialised labour markets
- scope for specialised production, which increases trade between firms
- access to international markets which provides more scope for firms to benefit from scale economies
- opportunities to stimulate the development and spread of new ideas, technologies and ways of doing business
- business contacts in migrants' countries of origin
- a variety of specialised cultural and recreation opportunities.
Auckland however still has a primarily inwardly-focused economy driven by consumption, real estate, and domestically-focused services.
The image below shows the top five New Zealand export markets in 2017.