Skip to main content
Auckland Council

How to prepare a good quality building consent application

Me pēhea te whakarite tono whakaaetanga hanga whare pai

Engage a professional to help you with the technical requirements. Your building consent can be processed faster (saving you money) when it is a good quality application that contains all necessary information and documentation.

Guides for preparing a building consent application

We supply help and guidance on specific building projects.

Also see the Guide to applying for a building consent on the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment website for details on all aspects of the consent application.

If you are applying for a building consent online, follow the Guidelines for building consent online applications.

What you need to include in your application

Building consent applications require a lot of supporting information about the products, methods and materials you will use in construction.

When you provide all the necessary information, you avoid a request for further information (RFI), and your application is processed quickly and efficiently.

To create a good quality application you, your builder, or your architect needs to provide the following information:

What the project is about

Describe the project accurately and include all work involved in the project.

This should include:

  • the building name (where available)
  • the type of building work (e.g. removal, demolition, alteration, relocation or new building)
  • its intended use (e.g. a retaining wall or swimming pool)
  • the extent of the building work and what is being consented
  • any site-specific information (e.g. list building consent amendments, national multi-use approvals (NMUA), or re-clad building consents).

Evidence of ownership

You need to provide evidence that you own the property or have rights over it.

If you are an agent applying on behalf of the owner, your application needs to have an additional letter of authorisation from the owner saying that you are their agent.


All drawings must be in black and white, with a minimum text size of CAD 10 or 2.5mm, with all dimensions provided and details cross-referenced.

Drawings need to be drawn to a professional standard with an appropriate scale and clarity (no freehand sketches are accepted).

If supported by a producer statement, the plans and drawings must also be signed by the design specialist.

Drawings must show:

  • the drawing number and title
  • the designer's name
  • the address of the property
  • the date.

Restricted Building Work

If the building work includes Restricted Building Work (RBW), the designer and/or engineer each need to complete and sign a Memorandum/Certificate of Design Work (CoW) for the work they are designing.

Licensed Building Practitioners (LBPs) are the only people allowed to supervise or carry out Restricted Building Work. You need to provide us with a list of LBPs in your application form before work begins onsite. 

If you don't yet know who the LBPs will be, you can register their details later using our Notification of Licenced Building Practitioner online form.

Producer statements

Design engineers who provide producer statements (except for PS3) must be registered with us as a producer statement author.

Producer statements - design (PS1) must also be accompanied by design calculations, specifications and construction details.

All authors of producer statement (PS3 and PS4) need to be listed in the Producer Statement Agreement form. If you do not know yet who they will be, list the producer statements that will be required.

The producer statement authors need to supply the producer statements (certificates, etc) after the work has been completed on site.

Producer statements must be dated no older than 90 days.

Construction specifications

Provide construction specifications in all cases.

Where relevant, provide product certification and manufacturers' specifications.

Evidence of approval

Where relevant, you need to provide evidence of approval from the asset owner (such as Watercare or Auckland Transport) for:

  • water meters
  • vehicle crossings
  • work near or under high voltage power lines
  • work near or over stormwater and sewer mains.

Approval may include documents and/or video evidence.

Other things you need to provide if relevant

If you apply for an amendment to an existing building consent, the description of building work must accurately summarise changes, and any plans need to be clouded to show changes.

If the design includes a waiver or modification of the building code, reference the section of the applicable building code and why this modification has been requested.

Lodgement checklist

Depending on how you choose to apply, you should complete the online lodgement checklist as part of your building consent application.

You can download a copy of the Lodgement checklist to make sure you have provided all relevant information.

Incomplete applications will lead to delays.

 Related topics